Monday, June 23, 2008

Gumbo - it's whats for dinner


Yum! Chicken, sausage, shrimp, okra and all kinds of seasonings. This is one of my very favorite things to eat. Normally, there would be crab claws in there too, but they are out of season right now. Gumbo is the Swahili word for okra, so it truly isn't gumbo unless you have the okra. I don't make this very often, but every once in a while nothing else will satisfy my taste buds. We usually have this Christmas Eve. When Nate and Meg were engaged we invited her over on Christmas Eve for some gumbo. She got confused as to what it was called and when her Dad asked her what she was going to do Christmas Eve, she said "Going to Silvesters for some guano." (bat poop) Nowadays, we call it guano as much as we call it gumbo. However, this is a very tasty soup so I imagine it taste nothing like guano. You must also have some rice to serve it over, and some crusty bread (I like baugettes the best) to serve with it. Anyway, we are having some tonight!

2 comments:

*LaUrA* said...

yum mom!!! You are eating more Southern than I have yet! I am so disappointed in the food selection and total lack of fresh seafood! bummer!! Looks good...wish I was there!

Unknown said...

Mmm, I loves me some gumbo. I also really love your playlist...That God Bless the USA song makes me weepy. *sniff*


HowManyOfMe.com
LogoThere are
3
people with my name
in the U.S.A.

How many have your name?