Thursday, November 6, 2008

Our Next President

Well, we knew history would be made no matter what in this election. November 4th was a historic night for our nation. Record numbers of voters chose the first black president for the United States. John McCain's concession speech was gracious and eloquent. Barack Obama's acceptance speech was inspiring and even though I didn't vote for him, I had a lump in my throat after listening to him. This part especially, touched me:

"And to those Americans whose support I have yet to earn, I may not have won your vote tonight, but I hear your voices. I need your help. And I will be your president, too."

My 8th grade students were excited about this election. We spent the month prior to election day studying about the election and talking about the candidates and learning about the electoral college and what it would take to win. On election night they had the assignment to watch the coverage and keep track of the states and listen to the speeches. The next day they were excited to have history made in their lifetime and excited to understand that in 4 years they would be voters too and that Barck Obama would probably be running for re-election.

Their excitement is contagious. I have a lot of hope that positive changes can be made in our country. Barack Obama is a family man with strong moral values, an honest man with integrity. I could never say that about our last Democratic president. But Obama has my respect and support as long as he supports the Constitution. This is our system of government, the best in the world. He deserves every chance to do good for our country.

God Bless America, land that I love.

4 comments:

*LaUrA* said...

Here Here! Very well said...though I didn't vote for him I will definitely give him all of my support ....unless he totally screws up;)...but I believe Americans should ban together and stand behind their leaders...I feel bad for Bush in that way...a huge chunk of the country left him...and bash him...and just make complete idiots oout of themselves...I don't think that is right...or "American"....so here is hoping the future is pride rather than gloomy!

*LaUrA* said...

I meant "bright" rather than gloomy!:) Love you!

Unknown said...

I'm going to go listen to the speeches right now.

Unknown said...

yeah those were some really good speeches. I think if Obama sticks with his plans and does a good job then everything will be great.
Still...get your food storage ready.


HowManyOfMe.com
LogoThere are
3
people with my name
in the U.S.A.

How many have your name?